Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: The Value of GIAC/GSEC Certification

From: "Florian Rommel" <frommel () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:20:38 +0200

Kim, I am not sure I agree with you on the assertion of "entry level"
security with a CISSP.

As you mentioned, a CISSP is a broad knowledge test. The SANS GSEC ( I
have a colleague who took it last year) is just what it describes, a
General Security knowledge test. Furthermore, at least when I took my
CISSP some years ago, there was a minimum requirement of experience
for it. CISSP holders usually have a higher ranking then GSECs, BUT
that also varies from company to company. Can you pass a CISSP? Sure
you can, but it is hard and it is very highly regarded. Plus ther is a
procedure to it, as in apply, get approved, get acknowledged, where
the GIAC is online exams... open book etc.

I took my GIAC last year as well (GCUX) and I have to say I was quite
excited as SANS is regarded as one of the best. I will go to another
SANS course this year but the level of people that went to that
particular course was WAY WAY WAY!! below anything I would have
thought. I mean people "started playing with linux last thursday" and
went to a GCUX course? Also the material wasnt really THAT great, at
least if you have quite a few years Unix experience.

I agree that GIACs are very good and the teacher (Hal) was extremely
good. Also the other teachers really know what they are doing and they
are great knowledge pools after class or in breaks. But the rest of
the time you go with the lowest common denominator in the class.But
regarding a GIAC higher then a CISSP, maybe in your opinion, not in
the industries'.

My 2 cents, but I have been wrong in the past so I can of course be
now and if I am I apologize already.

And as far as experience goes, 14+ years, you name it, i have probably
done it (except programming :)...

//Flosse
CISSP,GIAC GCUX

http://blog.2blocksaway.com