Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: lordl3ane () gmail com
Date: 12 Apr 2007 20:41:12 -0000

Daniel,

I like the way you think.  I agree with almost every point that’s being made here in your argument except your last
statement.

Interesting, well what if you let people crack on our "safe" all day
long (e.g. your SSH or VPN software) through OTHER PEOPLE'S SYSTEMS,
but you tuck YOURS behind a firewall that only your users can get
through?

So in other words, you get the benefit of scrutiny by using well-
tested systems, but you don't have the downside of wide-open
exposure. Surely with all your education and credentials you can see
that this is a positive thing.

Again we’re on a road where we’re comparing different controls to Obscurity.  A firewall is not an obfuscation control
mechanism.  At worst it’s an authorization system (what may or may not get through to the juicy bits behind), and at
best, it’s a rough authentication system (what may or may not get through to the juicy bits behind, only from the IP
addresses or from credentials [user names/passwords, certificates, etc]).

I think the point that Craig is trying to make, isn’t that the safe gets tucked behind a firewall.  It’s more like the
safe just simply doesn’t have a DNS locator record.  For example, an SMTP server without an MX record is simply a
service hanging quietly out on the Internet with nothing advertising that it’s there.

Adding a firewall would be like taking the safe and sticking it in a bank vault.  That’s not the same as obfuscation.
The point Craig was making was that even if the firewall existed, let’s assume that the ACL is configured to allow all
traffic to pass to the system behind, on all the services it provides.  Alternatively, we can look at the firewall
itself as the safe.

Eric