Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:19:26 +1000

The time to detect the attack is not reduced
The cost of initiating the attack is not increased

As such there are no real gains.

As for "Quite a few security researchers have done this but feel free to
try it for yourself. Setup some server application that is a common
target
for attacks (just so you'll get some quick responses) using standard
secure configuration and setup another one in exactly the same secure
way but listening on some completely off-the-wall port and non-default
protocol. Track how many attempts you get on each."

I have, but what you need to model is not the number of port scans, but
the survivability and model the hazard function for the experiment. What
is being tested is not the number of scans etc on a port, but the
survivability of a system. As such, an example valid experiment would be
to configure 2 apache servers with a vulnerable apache daemon (apache as
an example) with one on the standard ports (80, 443) and another on
different ports (785, 8056 for instance - and just randomly).

The test would be to map the survival times for the two systems. This
has been done in a few Honeypot experiments and there was no significant
difference between the two models. Thus there was no significant gain
through the use of changing the port number.

As such it is not an additional layer, but a false sense of an
additional layer.

Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.