Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: Daniel Miessler <daniel () dmiessler com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:57:17 -0400

On Apr 12, 2007, at 4:41 PM, lordl3ane () gmail com wrote:

Adding a firewall would be like taking the safe and sticking it in a bank vault. That’s not the same as obfuscation. The point Craig was making was that even if the firewall existed, let’s assume that the ACL is configured to allow all traffic to pass to the system behind, on all the services it provides. Alternatively, we can look at the firewall itself as the safe.

Hmm, let me try and restate this: the firewall is a brick to ALL USERS except those with specialized software. The firewall is closed. No ports open. No scan returns an open port for the service in question. It's a non-issue for attackers. Unimportant. Nothing to see here. Etc.

This is obfuscation because service scans are LOOKING for said port in order to exploit it. So if it's open for your users, but it's not for everyone else -- it's obfuscated. It just so happens that "hiding" and restricting access are the same function on a firewall.

Cheers,

--
Daniel Miessler
E: daniel () dmiessler com