Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: blocking file formats in the interior of the network

From: Mike Peppard <mpeppard () impole com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:51:24 -0800

Run a nightly job that finds and replaces all files that have a music or video format with a text file containing a copy of the "company computer use agreement" that the users have signed. This deals with the legal problem of deleting the personal files of users and gets the word out in the company that this usage of company resources is unacceptable.

For problem users I tell their managers that their employee is in violation of the companies computer use agreement and run an application that will shutdown any application that uses video or music. The program also stops users from visiting websites that I have found in the web logs and determined are unacceptable. I use an older version of TerminatorX, however the software could also be written in-house by anyone with knowledge of Windows API and calling functions.

-Mike

Melchior, Raimar wrote:
Hi All,

I would be very pleased if somebody could give me some advises on my
following question.

We are seeking a solution which can detect/block different file formats
(mp3, wmf, etc) in the interior of the network. There are some people
who think they can put their mp3 and other files on the server share.
Since there are a lot of authorised users who have access to those
shares we can't disallow access to shares on a per user/group basis. We want to filter out different fileformats and set thresholds on
allowed traffic.

I assume we need some kind of IDP oder a NAC solution which can look
into the content and blocks those traffic that is going from internal
users to the shares.
It would be great if you could give me some suggestions on this and what
products/appliances are able of doing that.

Many Thanks.

- Raimar

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus