Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: blocking file formats in the interior of the network

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:20:41 -0500

Melchior, Raimar wrote:
Hi All,

I would be very pleased if somebody could give me some advises on my
following question.

We are seeking a solution which can detect/block different file
formats (mp3, wmf, etc) in the interior of the network. There are
some people who think they can put their mp3 and other files on the
server share.
Since there are a lot of authorised users who have access to those
shares we can't disallow access to shares on a per user/group basis.
We want to filter out different fileformats and set thresholds on
allowed traffic.

I assume we need some kind of IDP oder a NAC solution which can look
into the content and blocks those traffic that is going from internal
users to the shares.

It would be great if you could give me some suggestions on this and
what products/appliances are able of doing that.

Many Thanks.

- Raimar

Windows Server 2003 has the functionality built in.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/whatsnewinr2.mspx

---SNIP---

Reduced Storage Management Costs

Windows Server 2003 R2 includes new tools designed to provide a
centralized view of storage; simplified storage planning, provisioning
and maintenance; and improved monitoring and reporting.
Benefit Description

Reduced Storage
Management Costs

Provides better control over storage setup and lower management costs
due to improved storage management features.

Better storage utilization. Provides storage utilization information
through detailed storage reports.

Better quota management. Monitors and controls disk space usage with
directory quotas.

Better file screening. Limits types of files allowed on servers with
file screening.

Simpler SAN configuration. Easily configures and provisions storage area
networks (SANs).

---SNIP---

Hope that helps!

JMB