Security Basics mailing list archives

blocking file formats in the interior of the network

From: "Melchior, Raimar" <raimar.melchior () hp com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:15:20 +0100

Hi All,

I would be very pleased if somebody could give me some advises on my
following question.

We are seeking a solution which can detect/block different file formats
(mp3, wmf, etc) in the interior of the network. There are some people
who think they can put their mp3 and other files on the server share.
Since there are a lot of authorised users who have access to those
shares we can't disallow access to shares on a per user/group basis.
We want to filter out different fileformats and set thresholds on
allowed traffic.

I assume we need some kind of IDP oder a NAC solution which can look
into the content and blocks those traffic that is going from internal
users to the shares.

It would be great if you could give me some suggestions on this and what
products/appliances are able of doing that.

Many Thanks.

- Raimar