Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure installation of Windows XP?

From: "etropos" <etropos () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 05:05:50 -0300

"How do you define an unnecessary service?"
A service that, when I turn it off, my XP box take more security or
better performance without affect the system's stability.

"Does a list and definition of the services exist?" First link seems to be nice.
http://www.google.com.ar/search?hl=es&q=xp+services+list&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda+en+Google&meta=

:)  I also recomend:

http://force.coresecurity.com / http://www.whatsrunning.net
http://browsertools.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/index.html / http://www.tune-up.com

"ordinary users" are not admins, watch out...
just give to them only Guest -ordinary- account  ;)

Carlos Tori - Argentina
www.nnlnews.com
PGP ID 0x7F81D818

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>

How do you define an unnecessary service?
XP ships with all sorts of services running by default. Most ordinary users
haven't a clue what half of these services do. Nor do they know if they
disable a few of them what effect they'll have on their system.
Does a list and definition of the services exist?

Thanx,
ys