Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: "Ebeling, Jr., Herman Frederick" <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:15:59 -0400

- ----Original Message----
From: Steve Armstrong [mailto:stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 May, 2006 07:49
To: hfebelingjr () lycos com; security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

: Herman
:
: How are you going to get the web page open?   What if they don't
: want to use your connection for web browsing?  A common use of
other
: wireless connections is for bandwidth hungry or illegal activities.
: And while there are illegal activities that can be performed with a
web
: browser, it is more likely to be another program that utilizes the
: connection eg P2P or Bit Torrent for illegal file sharing.

        That's why I said either a web page or a dialog box, or maybe even
some kind of batch/script file to automatically display it.

:
: However, your post did get me thinking as to the legal
ramifications
: of conducting sniffing operations on what you believe to be a
closed
: network.  For example if I was sniffing all traffic on my network
: and you connected without permission and my knowing, I would
capture
: your traffic.  While there is an offences of accessing a private
network
: (especially is encryption was broken to gain the access), but where
: do I stand on the interception and storage of your data?

        There is a lot of room for a person to "lost" in, isn't there?

:
: While some may say this is clear cut, how about the grey area of an
: insecure wireless LAN,  there a remote un-authorized user may
connect
: without their knowledge and may pass data they believe to be
private.
: While I did not intend for you to connect I still have your data -
: possible without your knowledge.

        Sadly, yes it isn't a clear cut area.  Guess that's where those of
us who know technology the best need to work with lawmakers to get
the right kinds of laws passed.

:
: Interesting eh?
:
: Perhaps the lesson here is to ensure you encrypt your WLAN to
: ensure the casual user does not connect, and if they do (i.e. they
: have hacked in), they are not casual, not wanted and get what they
: deserve.

        Yep, use the highest level of security possible.

:
: Steve A
:

- -----