Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:47:08 -0700

  No, for two reasons.

1.  You haven't mentioned any way to ensure that the intruder visits
that page and sees it, let alone agrees to its conditions.  [Technology
exists to address this, it's called a "captive portal".  So this problem,
at least, can be solved.]

2.  Can you post a sign on your driveway, giving yourself the right to
search any cars that park there that you don't recognize?  I don't
think so.  You have the right to report them to the *police*, who in turn
might determine that a search warrant (or one of the few exceptions) is
appropriate, but simply arrogating that authority to yourself is risky
at best.

  Really, it would be a whole lot simpler to (a) secure the network in
the first place, and (b) ban and/or report any intruder who gets past
that security.  [If you lock access to a list of MAC addresses, the only
way an intruder can get in is to spoof one of those addresses, and so
identifying and banning him will be problematic at best.]

  An awful lot of the intruders I encounter have a NetBIOS name set, so
their computer offers me clues about who they are *without* any kind of
counter-intrusion on my part.  And since they're just looking for free
bandwidth, it doesn't take a lot of banning effort before they decide to
go somewhere easier.
  My current "ban" list is not very long, and there's only one entry on
there for which the police *will* be called if it shows up again.  But
that one wasn't just hitching a free Internet connection....

David Gillett