Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: "Ebeling, Jr., Herman Frederick" <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:17:03 -0400

- ----Original Message----
From: Murad Talukdar [mailto:talukdar_m () subway com]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 May, 2006 00:25
To: hfebelingjr () lycos com; security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

: Hey Herman,
: Still doesn't give you the legal right to access their machine. I'm
: pretty sure this is warrant territory. Call your local police etc
: and see what they say.
:
: The fact that you have the ABILITY to do this doesn't mean you have
: the right/jurisdiction. Any access you may take up would no doubt
: void any kind of legal argument you could use if you found
: incriminating evidence on the machine in question. (i.e. how does
the
: State/Court/Crown ensure that YOU didn't put the incriminating
: evidence there).
:
: Having a definite warning banner is a great idea because then the
: unauthorized person knows for sure that they are not supposed to be
: there and they have been told in no uncertain terms. Not sure about
: putting the caveat about hacking them in kind (which is pretty much
: what you'd be doing).
:
:
: Regards
: Murad Talukdar

Murad,

        I admit that the owner of a network could get into trouble for
trying to ID the person who has illegally connecting to their
network.

        Uh, wouldn't just running ipconfig/all show one all the computers on
their network.  And being as it would be run only on the network
owner's computer they haven't "hacked" anything have they.

- -----
Herman
Live Long and Prosper