Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: a good firewall/router?

From: Eugene Nine <enine () ninefamily com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:10:14 -0400

On Monday 24 October 2005 05:03 pm, James Eaton-Lee wrote:

Interesting to note, then, that many linksys/d-link/whomever routers
actually run linux - http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WAP54G,
for instance.

I've noticed that.  I'm redoing my whole home network/testlab setup and am
trying to compact a whole room of equipment down to as small as space as
possible (have to give up my lab for a kids room) and neww to replace my
current seperate routers, wireless, switches, servers with something simpler.
I can't decide weather to just buy something like the WRT54G or just build a
small server linux box which I can dump my laptop backup to and put in a
wireless card and use it as a router also sort of an everything in one box
solution so this thread caught my eye since I'm trying to decide on what
might be a good router.