Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure disposal of backup tapes

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:18:43 -0500

Murad Talukdar wrote:
Hi I wanted to get some ideas from everyone for secure disposal of
DDS/TRAVAN/DLT backup tapes.
How do you burn yours?

Hi Murad,

At a prior job, once every few months, we had a bonfire at a staff member's residence. We kept the old/bad tapes in a locked cabinet until the next bonfire. When the time for the bonfire arrived, two staff members would ride together to the location of the bonfire, at which time the tapes were thrown in. The staff members visually "confirmed" the destruction of the tapes.

Probably not the "best" way, but it worked for us!

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN
http://www.linuxwiz.net/

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."