Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: secure disposal of backup tapes

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:10:51 -0800

  Apparently not.  Just this week I read of a datacenter looking to
dispose of tapes, who brought in a used-tape dealer with a de-gausser
("strong magnetic source" specifically built for this task).  When
they found the tapes still readable, the dealer brought in a stronger
model -- but the tapes were STILL readable.
  They concluded at that point that used tapes must be DESTROYED and
not just erased.

  Literally burning them might indeed be against local codes, but
if companies that shred paper don't also offer shredding of tapes,
maybe they should.

David Gillett