Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: secure disposal of backup tapes

From: Jacob Bresciani <jacob () bresciani ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:25:35 -0800

On Nov 23, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Aditya Deshmukh wrote:

Hi I wanted to get some ideas from everyone for secure disposal of
DDS/TRAVAN/DLT backup tapes.

Using a hammer on them then cutting the tapes up with sissors....

What is the security level of data that was on them ?
Maybe just a plain write with multiple patterns and
putting them up on eBay might be enough

I've been told a cloths iron can be used to "flatten" the tape back out, and then spooled onto a new reel.

Some tape (the sticky kind) can be used to reconstruct cut tape, although this would be a long, tedious job as you can imagine, but it is doable.

A web site exists out there somewhere (can't find the link at the moment) that explains how to do the above things quite simply.

Selling used tapes on eBay would probably get most companies in trouble if the contents of the tapes are sensitive enough to warrant an e-mail to a list.

How do you burn yours?
Please do *not* burn them they might be toxic

If they must be burned, there must be someone with a proper incinerator (rather then a bonfire) that could be used/rented so that it can be done in a relatively sage manner. Although I'm sure environmentalist would strongly disapprove of this plan.

______________________________________________________________________ __ Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)