Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Taking control of user's desktops

From: Dario Vernelli <dario.vernelli () email it>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:56:28 +0100

Marty wrote:

Hi,

My client's help desk requests for support is
growing, with more than 1,000 users its
understandable.
We need to find a software (not an outsourced
service) that will permit the technicians to take
control of the user's desktop for support
purposes.  The user MUST agree to the technician
taking control or even «peeking» at his desktop.

We've looked at a few but my concern is with
overall security.

We used to have VNC installed on a few machines a
couple of years ago but we removed it.

Is the latest version of VNC sufficient (security
wise)?

Can you share your experience with us please?
Suggestions or comments welcomed.

Thanks!

Marty

Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
magasinage.yahoo.ca
I'm using UltraVNC and it works fine........there are some features like chat, ftp and so on, and it's free. Another program is Dameware MiniRemoteControl, very good program, but you can buy licences...more infos on www.dameware.com

cheers
Dario

--

Sponsor:
Telefonare all'estero risparmiando fino all'80%? Con Email.it Phone Card puoi, clicca e scopri tutti i vantaggi