Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Messenger Pop-up spam

From: "Jon Lawhead" <samurai () berkeley edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:19:23 -0800

Like all spammers, those who advertise (intrusively) through Windows Messenger only do so to make a profit. When directions for disabling Windows Messenger started being easily available, and when ISP's and tech support workers started urging (or forcing) customers to install firewall software, advertising with Windows Messenger ceased to be quite as profitable, so they stopped doing it. I work for IT at UC Berkeley, and 8,000 students arrive every year, many with no protection, and I've yet to hear a complaint about this. That may be, as you said, that something more serious infects them before the spammers have a chance to find them, but I don't think so.

Jon Lawhead
UC Berkeley SINE/ResComp

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:24:54 -0800