Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: When nmap can't ID the OS...

From: Derek Fountain <dflists () iinet net au>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:14:22 +0800

On Saturday 27 November 2004 08:35, you wrote:
Maybe it's been secured? Heck, I can take any Apache install and make nmap
think it's IIS.

That's the thing: it hasn't been secured. It's not even behind a firewall.

If you have any type of control of the system, log on and check it out.
Surely you can make some guesses based on ftp structure, telnet response,
smtp response..?

Yes, it's running several services, all of which indicate Windows 2000, or
possibly Windows XP. But something is happening which is preventing nmap from
identifying that. I wondered what that something might be...