Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Messenger Pop-up spam

From: Ramsey Consulting Services <ramseycs () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:00:20 -0500

Does it still exist in the wild? As of a couple of months ago, yes it does. I sniffed the connection between a Netgear Router and a DSL modem with Ethereal, and I did see some Windows Messenger traffic. Of course, the computers behind the router would never see it by default. The ISP in question was Bellsouth. Ive never had a customer complain to me about it since they always have something between them and the world (SOHO router, hardware firewall, or software firewall on the desktop).

Dedric Ramsey
Ramsey Consulting Services
770-826-8008

Matthew Romanek wrote:
> (snip)
Does it still exist in the wild? I suppose I could
plug an unprotected windows machine into a public IP address, but I
think I'd be likely to be taken out by something worse before a
messenger ad comes along. And I'm not THAT curious. :)