Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patching

From: "Erik R. Myers" <emyers () ost edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:01:29 -0500

Some very good questions.
Patching a well-running organization/system should always make you
nervous.  Thus the need for strident patch-testing on test-boxes, which
of course increases the costs/time associated with patching.  Earlier a
comment was made that "patches fix known holes and that unknown holes
aren't yet security risks".  Not really, a hole is a hole is a hole.
"Unknown" provides a little cover but doesn't make the hole go away.
Someone, somewhere will eventually find it.  Which brings us back to
"why" we patch known vulns.  Once a vuln/hole is known it is a matter of
time (which seems to be shrinking) before scripts are produced to
exploit it.  While I hate explaining why a security patch has done
something bad to app X, I don't want to have to explain why a 13 year
old script-kiddie raped my system using downloaded script for a 6
month-old vuln.  Yes this is a lesser of 2 evils argument.
Measuring the worthness?  Toughee.  If we have done our jobs correctly,
no one notices a thing.  I guess if you had to prove to someone that
you've been successful, you could gather up all your sec logs, audit
reports, mail/spam/virii stats and proudly show the powers-that-be all
the mischief you've deterred...assuming you can keep them awake longer
than a couple of minutes.

Long response, need coffee now. Happy patching.
Erik R. Myers