Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching

From: "David Lanagan" <DLanagan () sterlinginsurancegroup com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:08:33 +0100

I know the feeling!  (not the rain, it's sunny but cold here in London)

We're being increasingly told to get patches on asap but we no longer have the time to actively test patches and
updates before getting them onto production systems.  I think the main problems over the next few years will be getting
corporate environements to understand the importance of these patches and devote the relative resource to them, I bet
I'm not the only one here who's reputation (and career to an extent) is being dictated by the uptime, availability and
security of systems that are not only inherently insecure but also don't give me adequate control of the process.

D.

Dave Lanagan
Lead  - Infrastructure Development
Tel: 020 8334 1548
Fax: 020 8948 0161
Mail: dlanagan () sterlinginsurancegroup com

Alessandro Bottonelli <abottonelli () libero it> 10/20/03 09:12am >>>
A thought has been crossing my mind for a long time, I'd like to confront it
with the list.

In the "old days" a patch and/or fix was defined as "something that closes a
known hole and opens ten unknown holes" :-) Yet, literature and common
practices keep saying we should maintain our systems and network appliances
up to date with the last patches / software releases.

WHY should I feel safer that way? How can I tell Rev. 1.3 is any better
(security-wise) than Rev. 1.2 ? Is the cost (financial and others) of change
management worth it? If so, how can I measure such worthness?

Too much caffeine on a rainy Monday morning, in usually sunny Italy? :-)

--
Alessandro Bottonelli
www.axis-net.it

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015

and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of anyaction in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the
intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.  The views expressed in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of Sterling Insurance Group Ltd or any of its
subsidiary companies.