Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:33:28 +0200

On 2003-10-20 Alessandro Bottonelli wrote:
OK, so the main idea I get from the list is: a known hole is fixed and
the others are (for the moment) unknown. Therefore, patching is a good
idea.

Hmmmm. I am not convinced yet that all this makes sense from a "wider"
security perspective. Must a vulnerability / hole be known to be a
risk?

Yes.

Security risks do not all come from "out there" and "bad guys" trying
to exploit a vulnerability. System errors, data loss may very well
occur from holes that are very unknown (or very honest operators that
make mistakes).

Not very likely. The occasional malcontent user is much more of a
problem than that. IMHO.

Once I get a very well oiled and stable infrastructure, I personally
suffer everytime I have to disturb that balance. There's a lot of
interdependability among the various elements of the whole system.
Application X at release n.m needs Middleware Y at release j.k that in
turn requires OS Z at release l.m that in turn.... everytime I touch
something I feel that I have no control (but that could be just me) of
where the ripples are going to end up to.

Patches breaking Software are a different kind of trouble. That's not
(directly) security related.

My 0.02 $CURRENCY.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015