Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: sftp vs ftp with ssl

From: Glenn English <ghe () slsware com>
Date: 07 Aug 2003 19:09:00 -0600

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 16:30, Skibi de LaPies wrote:

Another one question in this topic  - for sftp services one need a shell
account with interactive shell. If I don't want to allow users to login but
I want to use sftp then what should I do?
(of course i may be wrong, but I haven't found the way to do that)

I may very well be missing something here, but isn't anonymous sftp kind
of an oxymoron?

The users would have to log in - just like they do with ftp. They're
logged in, but they don't get a shell.

Might it work to create a user 'anonymous' (or sftp) with a no-password
login, then run sshd in a chroot jail, kind of the way anonymous ftp
works?

Or if this is a known group of users, you could distribute the ssh keys.

--
Glenn English
ghe () slsware com