Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux security

From: vincent <pros-n-cons () bak rr com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:32:18 -0700

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:12:53 -0500
John Jairo Florez Torres <jjflorez () uninorte edu co> said:

Hi.

I would thanks information about security in Linux:

1. Securing a linux server (specially Redhat). Installing and administering
a linux server in a secure form

 Redhat itself posts security documentation with every release. For
the most recent see the following link. (this is mostly in general)
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/security-guide/

 For a more indepth idea of security see an old but (mostly) still applicable
book/paper called Securing & Optimizing linux
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-v1.3/
Neither is a definitive guide to security, only a great place to start.

2. Why is linux more secure than windows

 This is debatable but in my opnion because if the machines job is just to be a
squid server (for instance) why does it need IE, RPC, netbios, etc, etc.
all software is insecure to some degree so why not lessen the chances by installing
less software?

3. Securying Squid
Thanks a lot
JohnF