Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: sftp vs ftp with ssl

From: Glenn English <ghe () slsware com>
Date: 08 Aug 2003 16:06:50 -0600

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 14:27, Skibi de LaPies wrote:

OK, that's not a problem, but when they have shell (/bin/sh) they can
work
remotely (that is not what I want) and when they do not have a
interactive
shell (entry in /etc/passwd shows /bin/false) they cannot login either
ssh or sftp.

No, they can't. To access a machine through ssh, there must be a valid
username, password, home directory, and shell.

ssh is nothing more than a fancy telnet/rsh, and it has to be possible
for the user to operate the machine before the ssh daemon can complete
the connection. And sftp rides on ssh.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because I use the default sftp
service
which is in OpenSSH:
(/etc/ssh/sshd_config)Subsystem       sftp
/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
Maybe i should install a normal ftp server? (but the security case
then?)

A normal ftp server wouldn't work either, and for the same reason. The
ftp daemon logs you in (that works fine with no /bin/false as a shell),
and then starts a shell to run its fileserver - that's where things
fail.

My ideal solution would be: leave /usr/bin/passwd as shell, access for
users
to their ftp accounts through sftp (client may be putty psftp.exe or
something).

How to achieve it?

I could never be considered a *nix guru, but I don't think it can be
done using 'regular' components. What you need is either a special
program that acts enough like a shell to make ssh happy, or a file
serving daemon that doesn't use a shell.

In other words, I don't know.

--
Glenn English
ghe () slsware com