Security Basics mailing list archives

Nessus/keyloggers

From: "netsec novice" <netsec9 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:34:32 +0000

I would like to demonstrate the importance of physical security to management by presenting information I was able to easily obtain by accessing one of our 'publically' available PCs residing on our private network. What I had in mind was to run a keylogger and perhaps nessus from a machine for a short period of time and present the output. I pictured installing a keylogger and a reconaissance type tool on a thumbdrive - leave it there for a period of days and then retrieve. Does anyone have suggestions on a keylogger or nessus type tool that could be easily installed on portable media that could then be carried away for analysis? I want to provide as realistic scenario as possible. IE - someone leaves a thumb drive attached for a day for keylogger or someone walks in and powers the PC off and then boots of a Linux based CD to run a scan and then easily collects data?

Thanks for any ideas!!