Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewalls

From: Rob Scott <rob () managesim com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:31:55 -0300

Sridhar,
I've used the three products you mention and frankly I thought they sucked hard except for Tiny, and that was somewhat limited in the free version as I recall.. Personally I use Norton Internet Security (commercial), and Outpost (free, lean, clean). Outpost has great ad-blocking and even a DNS cache built into the no-nag free version. I'm starting to sound like I work for them tho, which I certainly don't.

-Rob Scott
ManageSim Inc.

Sridhar J wrote:

Hi

I have a PIII 550 m/c running Win98. I need a personal firewall for it.
I am looking at Zone Alarm, Sygate and Tiny Personal Firewall as my
options.

My intention is not only to protect my systems, but also to learn
something about logs and analysing them. In light of this, which do you
think would be ideal?

No, I don't have a *nix system and don't intend to use it now.

----------
Regards
Sridhar J
----------
"What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence;The question
is, what can you make people believe that you have done."
--Sherlock Holmes in "A Study in Scarlet"

Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited is 'privileged' and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. You are notified that any use, copying or dissemination of the information contained in the E-MAIL in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.