Security Basics mailing list archives

R: Interesting One

From: "Alessandro Bottonelli" <abottonelli () libero it>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:28:40 +0100

the guy that came to see me said that their
forensics guys could read data off a hard drive that had been written
over up to thirty times. I find this very hard to believe and told him I
thought he was mistaken but the guy was adamant that it could be done. My
question is, does anyone have any views on this,

I have an italian policewoman I know (a very cute young lady BTW), who made
the same statement a year ago over a business lunch, which I took very
prudently.

But it looks like it can be done. Do a google search for Tunnel Microscopy,I
also have a couple of specific URLs which I'll post when I get back to my
home office.

The real point is that it CAN be done, but not necessarily it OUGHT to be
done :-) it's costly, it takes a long time, you have to be very motivated to
do it. I doubt such technology is used to  recover a few hundred dollars (or
Euros, if you like) of license.

Back later with the URLs.

--
Alessandro Bottonelli