Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Interesting One

From: Joe Yong <flyingbuick () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:42:06 -0800 (PST)

30 seems a little high but as of 7 years ago (the last
time I dug into these things), the ability to recover
data that has been overwritten 8 times was available
in many advanced commercial labs and government
agencies. Given that it was 7 years ago, I'm sure
they've made some progress since. However, I too, am
curious about 30. Can't help but wonder if it's a
scare tactic. If you're physically close to their
office, how about shipping them a HDD to prove it?

joe.