Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Interesting One

From: Dora Furlong <sparrowh () deathstar org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:48:25 -0500 (EST)

Hmm this is an interesting topic.....considering overwrites are dependant
upon one frequency signal overwriting the previously written pattern.
If the write current is too high it produces fringing fields at edge of
the head pole track widths... typically overwrite values kept below
-30dB

IE A pattern of f1 is written at low freq amplitude averages a1
A pattern of F2 now written at higher freq and on same track over old
pattern

residual signal at freq f1 is measured with band pass filter or a spec
analyzer.... Now we have average amplitude of a2

overwrite ratio calculated as 20log(a2/a1), which reflects the ability of
a new data patern to supress the old data previously overwritten on the
media.

Given today's technology and working the above calculation at 30
overwrites....Noise is left...

Also any sideband harmonics that could be picked up by that point are
completely destroyed and after the second overwrite the original
harmonics disappear from the spectrum.

As for track edge effect it becomes jumbled after 30 overwrites...it is
frequency dependant it would be impossible to determine the original
frequency written there.

(Trying to keep this relatively math independant.)

-->Dora