Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SendMail and DNS running on same Machine

From: "Benjamin Meade" <ben () lanwest com au>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:18:46 +0800

The only issue I can think of is that is an attacker gains access to
your server, then both your DNS and mail belongs to them, rather that
having only one compromised. Of course, if they were on separate
machines, then it is likely that if one was compromised, then the
attacker could go from one to the other without to much difficulty.
Still, it is an extra layer of security.

Benjamin Meade
Systems Administrator
LanWest Pty Ltd