Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is SSH worth it??

From: Johan De Meersman <johan () ops skynet be>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:26:37 +0200

Chris Santerre wrote:

You know I always wondered about this method. su - has you input a password.
So If a sysadmin is on a cable modem at home, logs in as normal user w/ ssh,
then does an su - and enters password, How is that any different? You are
being sniffed on the cable network. Keep in mind you can now sniff SSH
packets. So how could this be more secure? So wouldn't a hacker now have
both the first user pass and the su - ?

Hell, you can get hit by a car on the pavement, why not just walk in the
middle of the road ? Because walking on the pavement lessens the chance
of being hit, that's why.

While it's true that rsa1 packets can be sniffed now, I still have to
see the first exploit that can sniff and actually decode DSA (ssh
protocol 2) packets.