Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Is SSH worth it??

From: Chris Santerre <csanterre () MerchantsOverseas com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:39:38 -0400

You know I always wondered about this method. su - has you input a password.
So If a sysadmin is on a cable modem at home, logs in as normal user w/ ssh,
then does an su - and enters password, How is that any different? You are
being sniffed on the cable network. Keep in mind you can now sniff SSH
packets. So how could this be more secure? So wouldn't a hacker now have
both the first user pass and the su - ?