Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is SSH worth it??

From: Johan De Meersman <johan () ops skynet be>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:31:59 +0200

Chris Berry wrote:

From: Johan De Meersman <johan () ops skynet be>

I don't think it's ever a good idea to allow root ssh to any machine

Why not?  Also, how are you going to remote administer it without
some sort of control SSH, VNC, etc?

Because the first shell exploit or key theft will give root access
instead of low-user access. Remote control is achieved by ssh-ing as
low-user, and then su-ing to root, thereby doubling the work involved
in rooting the box. You still need decent passphrases on both your
keys and your root account, of course. You can also allow root ssh
from localhost only, adding a tiny bit more security still by not
su-ing but ssh-ing to root.

Doesn't this actually lower your securtiy by requiring you to transmit
you password when you do the SU command, rather than authenticating
locally?

No, because traffic to localhost (127.0.0.1) doesn't actually pass the
network, and all ssh-packets are encrypted, even those before
authentication. The (minimal) added security is in the fact that you
never have to enter the actual root password, so even if an intruder
were to gain physical access, they still have some work to do before
they get root. On the other hand, physical access doesn't require one to
have root to kill the box :)

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"I have found the way, and the way is Perl."

--
Public GPG key at blackhole.pca.dfn.de .