Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pc anywhere is safe?

From: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw () wittsend com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:50:25 -0500

From: "SB CH" <chulmin2 () hotmail com>
I use VNC, PC ANYWHERE and Terminal Service to remote control.
I would like to which tool is the most safeful?
As I know that the VNC is not safe as it transfers the ID/PW into plain
text.

VNC is fine if you pipe it through an ssh link

        Which is even build into the Unix viewer by default.  If you
use the -via {gateway} option it builds an ssh tunnel to the gateway
and connects to the target through the tunnel.  I use it all the time.
You don't need to do anything special other than have your ssh
setup configured.  Why invent something when something better already
exists to do the job for you?

and Terminal Service is best safe.

Terminal Services has some problems, but if you set it up according to best
practices and keep your patches up to date it shouldn't be too bad as long
as you only use it internally.

and how about 'pc anywhere'?

If you configure it to use the PKI then its not too terrible, although only
the initial part will be public key, the rest is transmitted symmetric.

Basically the key to any of these is understanding and using them properly.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw () WittsEnd com
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/