Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: pc anywhere is safe?

From: "Garbrecht, Frederick" <FGarbrecht () ecogchair org>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:41:50 -0500

This topic seems to come up alot; check out the archives for a number of
discussions regarding the security of remote access tools.  In general, VNC
can be used relatively safely if run through an encrypted tunnel such as
SSH.  Default encryption on PC Anywhere is not considered robust and should
not be used.  I can't comment on Terminal Services except to say that
discussions I've seen here in the past suggest that TS is not secure enough
to be used through a firewall into your internal LAN.  Tunnelled VNC works,
but always seemed slow to me; I only use it for internal remote control
sessions, never through a firewall.  I've used Remotely Anywhere with
success; it is a little different from the other solutions that require
both server and client components.  RA only sets up a server session which
you attach to through a browser over an https connection.  It supports a
number of methods of authentication and allows ip address restriction.
I've looked in the past for published exploits of RA and have never seen
any.

Fred