Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pc anywhere is safe?

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:44:44 -0800

From: "SB CH" <chulmin2 () hotmail com>
I use VNC, PC ANYWHERE and Terminal Service to remote control.
I would like to which tool is the most safeful?
As I know that the VNC is not safe as it transfers the ID/PW into plain text.

VNC is fine if you pipe it through an ssh link

and Terminal Service is best safe.

Terminal Services has some problems, but if you set it up according to best practices and keep your patches up to date it shouldn't be too bad as long as you only use it internally.

and how about 'pc anywhere'?

If you configure it to use the PKI then its not too terrible, although only the initial part will be public key, the rest is transmitted symmetric.

Basically the key to any of these is understanding and using them properly.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."