Security Basics mailing list archives

Anyone know any vulnerabilities in HP 9100C Digital Sender????

From: "Dankers, Sean (Contractor)" <DankersS () ncr disa mil>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 07:45:30 -0500

HP 9100C Digital Sender scans documents to PDFs and then e-mails them to a
recipient of choice. Configuration requires the following:

 - A static IP address ( it has been assigned one already )
 - The IP address of an SMTP server to allow mail relay for the device
 - The IP address of an LDAP server to allow address resolution
 - An e-mail account to receive its error messages

The device is also web-accessible over port 4242, which allows it to be
configured remotely, including accessing all the capabilities. As it
currently has no configuration and is sitting wide-open. I've asked the
client to turn it off until we have had a chance to look at it. My question
to you is: Is this a device that we should allow on the network from a
security standpoint?

Thank you,
Sean H Dankers
DISA/CIO - INFOSEC Analyst