Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Fiber optic vampire taps

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:43:02 -0800

From: ONEILL David J <David.J.Oneill () state or us>
VPNs are not the Holy Grail for network security.

Undeniably true, VPNs are part of the current trend towards defense in depth that is required when you don't have a true solution.

As a matter of fact, I am suggesting that our project dump its VPN.

Without knowing what you are working on, I can't say whether that's good or not.

VPNs are only secure when both ends of the tunnel are electronically
and physically secure, something that no one can insure with 99.5%
certainty.

Totally accurrate, but irrelevant, since the purpose of a VPN is to ensure security in between endpoints, not at the endpoints. In this particular case, since they were worried about sniffing on a fiber optic line between buildings, it seems to fit the bill nicely.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"I can sleep at night because my servers are secure. What's the secret you ask? I filled them with concrete."

MSN 8 limited-time offer: Join now and get 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_newmsn8ishere_3mf