Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fiber optic vampire taps

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:34:42 -0800

From: "Nick Iglehart" <nick () systemsecuritysolutions com>
I have a client who has a fiber optic line between two buildings.
There is no physical security and so they are concerned about someone
tapping into the fiber line and capturing data.

I read something a while back about tapping fiber optic lines without
breaking the sheathing and now I can't seem to find anything but
vague references to it.  I have googled for hours and checked the sf
archives with no luck.  Anyone have any references to this?  Any help
is appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a vampire or inductive tap for fiber optics, the only way to tap into the line would be to cut the connection and splice in an optical splitter. This kind of action would manifest itself as a network outage, and change in signal strength. A simple monitor program that tracks the fiber optic connection and warns you when it is down should be sufficient security, of course guard dogs and Marines armed with SAWs wouldn't hurt either, but that would probably be more expensive.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf