Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Joint project with Git for outreachy

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 17:06:49 +0100

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 16:26, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
wrote:

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 8:01 AM Emily Shaffer via Wireshark-dev
<wireshark-dev () wireshark org> wrote:

On 2020-09-19 at 09:12:53, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
Hi Jonathan,
Hi Emily

Emily, you want to contribute to wireshark? That is awesome. I
think I
speak for everyone to send a HUGE welcome
your way and hope your experience working on and with wireshark be
excellent!

I think there's been a misunderstanding.  I think the proposal was to
have Emily and Jonathan, who are both significant contributors to
Git,
doing the mentoring from the Git side, along with someone from the
Wireshark side.  I don't think we know yet if anyone will be
interested
in working on it, but it seems from the response to be a proposal
that
has interest in both projects.

Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood.

That matches my understanding.

Right - brian and Junio are correct, I'm hoping to co-mentor with
Jonathan. Ronnie, I'm really pleased to see this warm welcome, which
makes me optimistic about the kind of experience an intern would have on
this project. It would be really great if we could get a volunteer to
serve as point-of-contact if the mentee is not sure about something
they want to send to the Wireshark list, and possibly to come to an
introductory real-time chat (video/voice/IM) to provide a little
overview and nudge in the right direction.

I am in the Bay Area so I can serve as the point of contact for some
geographies, while Ronnie is in Australasia so he might make a better
point of contact for those geographies.

There is quite a bit of information in the Wireshark sources in the
doc directory, including several README.* files. There is also a
sample dissector in doc/packet-PROTOABBREV.c

However, it can all be a bit daunting for a beginner so I am willing
to help get things started.

I should also point out that there are many people on the
wireshark-developer mailing list who will be more than happy to help.

There's also the Wireshark Developers Guide (
https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/) and for those that are
sleep deprived there are a selection of talks on dissectors from previous
SharkFest conferences, e.g. Writing a Wireshark dissector:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp_7g5as1VY

and the much more entertaining one with a different approach from Richard
here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFkC4PdCbI

--
Graham Bloice