Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Joint project with Git for outreachy

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 09:17:50 -0700

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 8:21 AM Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder () gmail com> wrote:

Hi wiresharkers,

Outreachy <https://www.outreachy.org/> is a program similar to the
Google Summer of Code, providing internships to work on open source
projects.

Emily (cc-ed) and I would be interested in mentoring an outreachy
intern on adding support for the Git protocol to wireshark.  We think
this would be helpful for documenting the spec better, for making
debugging easier for future Git developers, and for helping people
working on systems involving Git (e.g. CI systems) to understand the
behavior of the systems they oversee.  We think that a co-mentor
within wireshark would be helpful for making sure an intern is set up
for success (helping them find pointers, making sure their approach is
on the right track, etc).

This would be a project under the Git umbrella
<https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/git/>.

What do you think?  Does this sound interesting to you?

Replying again to all this time.

We welcome any one who wants to write a dissector or help out in any
area of Wireshark, as Ronnie said.

I am more than happy to offer advice and ideas and look at code to get
new Wireshark developers going.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe