Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How can Wireshark improve

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:36:18 -0700

On Apr 25, 2014, at 10:02 AM, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg () gmail com> wrote:

Yes.  I think in most cases you want to split packet relations up into
two buckets :
"packets are related because they form a request/reply (and or cancel) pair"
and
"packets are related for some other reason".

We could fix this by changing all request/response fields to a new
FT_REQUEST_REPONSE type.

"Request/response fields" in the sense of "fields used to match requests and responses" (such as ONC RPC XIDs), or
"request/response fields" in the sense of "for a {request,response}, the frame number of the corresponding
{response,request}"?  If the latter, presumably you mean using FT_REQUEST_RESPONSE (or perhaps FT_MATCHING_REQUEST and
FT_MATCHING_RESPONSE) rather than FT_FRAMENUM.