Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How can Wireshark improve

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:36:08 -0700

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Apr 19, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com> wrote:

One think I would like to be able to do is "Show me all the SMB2
requests where the smb2.flags.is_response == true && smb2.nt_status !=
NT_STATUS_SUCCESS"

Presumably you mean "show me all the SMB2 transactions (requests and matching responses) where the
response returned an error".

Yes, although that was just an example. In other cases I would like to
see all the SMB Creates where the requested access == 0x120196 or
whatever ...

There's now a mechanism to, when saving filtered packets, save "related" packets.  I think this was introduced to
allow the earlier fragments/segments of a reassembled packet to be saved, along with the final packet that
matched the filter, but in at least some cases somebody might want to save the requests corresponding to
replies that match the filter.

Yeah, but then I want to be able to step through each of the packets
found and look at the one before or after, so I am continually hitting
clear and apply and so fort. It gets to be a pain, so then I thought
of the concept of having a search results pane that when you click on
one of the search results syncs the main pane so you can move around
and inspect more etc.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe