Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: New GCC, new option required?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 16:38:59 -0700

On Jul 13, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Bill Meier wrote:

On 7/13/2011 8:05 AM, Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi list,

I think we need a new GCC option added to configure.in:

AC_WIRESHARK_GCC_CFLAGS_CHECK(-Wno-unused-but-set-variable)

This option came into existence with GCC 4.6 and is causing havoc all over.
I've been going through a lot of dissectors, many of which have either:
* unused set variables
* variables set for a legitimate purpose, but not used (yet)
* bugs

I've fixes for a number of the (non-generated) dissectors and will commit them today.

Haven't you (and maybe others) been fixing the same issues already, as a result of Coverity warnings about the same
thing?

And how many of those are

static void
dissect_whatever(...)
{

        proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_foo, tvb, offset, len_foo, encoding);
        offset += len_foo;
        proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_bar, tvb, offset, len_bar, encoding);
        offset += len_bar;
}

and how many of those ultimately represent dissectors that should be converted to use ptvcursors, in which case the
"offset +=" stuff will disappear into the ptvcursor code and not get whined about by dataflow analyzers?