Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark misused?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:12:01 -0400

On 04/27/2011 02:12 PM, KHOI DO wrote:
To whom it may concerned,

A lot of people around the world are using wireshark for solving their
network problem. Do you know that some employers ( government agency)
has been using wireshark to capture their employees' personal
information and using that information to fire them. I am one of the
victimes.

I think that in reality, companies who are *really* interested in knowing what everyone is doing use products like those from Niksun. As I understand it (3rd+ hand) some of those are designed to capture *everything* going on in an enterprise network. And you can set triggers like "if someone sends an email with an attachment named resume.doc, email HR."

If you care about what people might see, be sure it's encrypted[1]. (And/or, as David suggested, don't do anything private using your employer's computer resources.)

[1] https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere is a start