Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark misused?

From: Giles Coochey <giles () coochey net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:27:07 +0200

On 27/04/2011 20:12, KHOI DO wrote:
To whom it may concerned,

A lot of people around the world are using wireshark for solving their network problem. Do you know that some employers ( government agency) has been using wireshark to capture their employees' personal information and using that information to fire them. I am one of the victimes.

I like to ask if you have anything related to this issue in your term agreement. Please let me know. I also happy to provide all information about this issue in detail. Please contact me.

Khoi Do
Worked for Health Human Services Commission of TX.

Wireshark is a tool to decode network packet captures... Whatever the motivation of the user to decode those packets is neither here nor there. If the packets that you sent got you fired, then you only have yourself to blame... honestly!!!

Would you have sent this message to Microsoft if they used Microsoft Network Monitor??
or to the developers of tcpdump?
How about WinPCAP?
Perhaps the Cisco equipment that provided the SPAN port is to blame?

--
Best Regards,

Giles Coochey
NetSecSpec Ltd
NL T-Systems Mobile: +31 681 265 086
NL Mobile: +31 626 508 131
GIB Mobile: +350 5401 6693
Email/MSN/Live Messenger: giles () coochey net
Skype: gilescoochey