Wireshark mailing list archives

Sub-dissector without heuristics

From: David Venz <david.venz () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 22:24:12 +1000

Hello all.

Currently writing dissectors for a related family of proprietary protocols
atop TCP.  They all have similar top-level framing, so I started out writing
a plugin dissector for that top level.  But I don't have any way of directly
or heuristically detecting the payload type and calling the appropriate
sub-dissector.  If there was an extra level of 'decode as' available it
might work - is there?  (I suspect not).  Otherwise, am I basically stuck
putting the common code in a library and writing a top-level dissector per
payload type?

Alternatively, is there a way of going to a TCP message, saying 'decode as'
payload type A dissector, and having the payload type A dissector first
call/insert a parent dissector between the TCP message and itself?

Thanks in advance,
-Dave.