Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: One NIC on public side

From: "mike () grounded net" <mike () grounded net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:34:59 -0500

�Using a hub that runs with ports at half-duplex and a having a PC with a
�port set at full-duplex *will* cause packet loss. A PC configured to full-
�duplex has collision detection disabled, so if a collision does occur, the
�PC will not know about it and not retransmit the lost frame.

I only have server class hardware and the ports are always in auto mode. I seem to recall that ports are usually always
in full duplex mode when I take a look. Not sure how to confirm that on XP servers at the moment.