Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: One NIC on public side

From: "mike () grounded net" <mike () grounded net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 23:48:43 -0500

On Wed, 12 May 2010 23:37:05 -0500, Terry Martin wrote:
 Depending on the OS. You may need to aet the port you are monitoring
 into permiscuous mode. Some do not auto configure

In the case of which I'm posting, it would be a win XP machine used only for monitoring now and then.
I thought that when wireshark fires up that it puts the interface in promiscuous mode on it's own?

 I am not sure how secure it will be,  it depends on the firewall. You
 still have a Mac address that can be attack

Can a MAC address be attacked over the Internet?